An Overview of Federal Government Contracting
The federal government contracting system is a process composed of three phases. The phases are Pre-Award, Award and Post-Award. Each phase of the process requires the business to complete specific steps for a selected service, supply, construction, architect and engineering or research and development requirement being offered to the government.
Target the dollar requirements in the Federal Government at the:
|1) Micro Purchase Level||$1- $3,500||Not Advertised|
|2) Simplified Acquisitions||$3,500- $25,000||Not Advertised|
|3) Simplified Acquisitions||$25,000- $ 6.5 Million||Advertised|
|4) Contract Level||$25,000- $$$,$$$,$$$,$$$||Advertised|
- The government acquires supplies and services at the micro purchase level using IMPACT credit cards, one source, large or small vendor, no competition required.
- The government acquires supplies and services between $3,000 and $25,000 using simplified acquisition procedures, competitive, 3 vendors solicited by phone, mail, fax or email.
- The government acquires supplies and services over $25,000 and up to $5.5 million using simplified acquisition procedures. The requirements must be published at http://www.fbo.gov
- The government requirements for supplies and services over $25,000 (contract level) must be published at www.fbo.gov
FREQUENTLY USED WEBSITES:
- www.fbo.gov Government web site postings for federal procurements over $25,000
- www.irs.gov Federal Tax Identification Number
- Fedgov.dnb.com/webform Dun and Bradstreet Number
- www.census.gov North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)
- www.sam.gov System Award Management (Registration site replaced http://www.ccr.gov)
- www.sba.gov Small Business Administration
- www.gsa.gov General Service Administration access to getting on schedules
- www.dla.mil Defense Logistics Agency
- www.vip.vetbiz.gov Veteran Resources
- www.acquisition.gov/far Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR)
- www.grants.gov Federal Grant Opportunities (No grants are available for a for profit business)
- www.fedspending.org Federal Government Spending for the previous year(s)
Contact your Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) specialist at www.fptac.org for assistance on contracting with Federal, State, and Local governments.
- Selling Services – sample forms
Worksheet Overhead and Proposal (PDF) Note: This worksheet is provided as a PDF. If you desire a working copy of the Excel spreadsheet, email PTAC for Myers, FL at firstname.lastname@example.org and request the working copy Excel worksheet for overhead.
- Selling Material and Labor – sample form
Worksheet Costs and Proposal (PDF)
- Selling a Product – sample forms
Worksheet Pricing and Proposal (PDF)
- DOD Small Business Points of Contact
- Marketing to the Federal Government – Nationwide: Doing Business with the Department of Defense (web)
- The Federal Government Past Performance Information Retrieval System (PDF)